Sunday, January 23, 2011

YESTERDAY~~ALMOST FINISHED

We have a trunk--old military issue foot locker--that we use for a coffee table. I've always covered it with a pretty rug I bought some time ago.  When the temperature dropped down to near zero and I had to do dishes because one could no longer see the sink, I found the floor in the kitchen unbearably cold for my toesies. I commandeered the rug from the coffee table.  Of course that meant I had to make a quilt for the coffee table. I've been wanting to try this raw edge-quilt as you go method. I also have quite a bit of checked/gingham fabric that I like but in small doses. Here's how it turned out...
Wouldn't this method make an adorable baby quilt or a Easter/Springtime table runner?  I may do a little free motion quilting on it yet, but not sure.  Some of the pieces are a bit ravelly and I may decide to anchor them down a bit more. On the other hand, since it is staying here at home, I may leave it as is just to test how well it stands up to use. Here's the back. It is a brighter green check than the pic indicates. Yes, you may notice some pins...it's all done but the final hand-stitching down of the pieced-from-leftover-scraps binding.  Don't you love the pattern created by the stitching? I should have smoothed it out before taking the pic, but....
I'll probably finish it up this afternoon while watching GlobeTrekker on PBS.  We're supposed to be getting more snow so I probably will stick it out here at home.  I've sure been using the weather as an excuse to stay home lately. I really like the comfort of my home, the occasional company of my hubby, the playful visits of my cat and the abundance of my sewing and crafting supply.
Happy Sunday, everyone.  Leave a comment...I would love to hear from you.

5 Comments:

At January 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Diana and LaDonna said...

Such lovely plaids! Very cheerful!

LaDonna

 
At January 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Mary said...

I love it! It shouts spring!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger em's scrapbag said...

Your little quilt turned out lovely. Enjoy your time at home sewing. I'm a bit of a homebody myself.

 
At January 29, 2011 at 6:27 AM , Blogger pennykitz said...

This is wonderful, you have done an amazing job.
Thank you for sharing with us.

 
At January 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM , Blogger June D said...

Very cute project! Thank you for sharing the photos!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home