Saturday, July 10, 2010

WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING

So far this has been a very busy summer. I have been working with the Census Bureau as needed...very interesting work! I've really enjoyed it. They keep telling us we are done and then calling us back for another go round. It has really been very satisfying. I have taken a leave from the radio program as the hours conflicted as we had to promise the Bureau to be available....kind of beck and call stuff. I have been able to be at our Mobile Food Pantry giveaways except for one and I've only missed one day of my sewing class which worked out well as we were in a transitioning from the adult gals to the out of school younger girls and I think it made a more natural switch and not so painful for me.

Plum Jelly is yummy. Our missionary has a very small plum tree in his back yard. He also has a huge faith in God's increase. He asked me to take care of the plums again this year. He gives away the jelly I make . So far I have done five cases. Most of those are quart jars. He is one of 10 children and thinks more is better when around the breakfast table. I still have 2 buckets to work up and 2 gallons of prepared juice ready to make into jelly and the tree is still loaded. Today when hubby goes to mow his yard I will take two or three of my neighbor kids over to hold the sheet and will shake some more fruit into it. Easier than reaching and picking. Some of this is going into the freezer as juice to make up at a later date. Hmmm! Might be a winter jelly making class. BTW Did you know 1/2 teaspoon of butter or margarine in the juice helps the jelly not to foam to skim? It works!





My quick attempt at an asterick block. Winged it, did not look up any instructions and am not addicted...not today anyway.







When you have just a dab of pretty fabric it definitely becomes a candidate for a D9P. Should have flattened out that fold above the seam line but you get the idea.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Quilting Journey said...

Absolutely awesome photo, Cheri. And all of your projects are just LOVELY!!!!

 
At July 11, 2010 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Helen in the UK said...

That is a serious quantity of jam/jelly ... and you say there are still plums on a SMALL tree!?!?!?! Great thing is there's plenty to share around :)

 
At July 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Mary K said...

I sure do miss home canned food since Mom passed.

 
At August 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM , Blogger grendelskin said...

Your jelly looks wonderful and that's a huge yield from one tree! For Asterisk instructions and inspiration you can go to Karen Griska's blog: http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/quilt-along-asterisk-quilt-post-2.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home