Tuesday, February 22, 2011

THE THRILL OF THE CHASE

Here's the thing...I love trying a new block.  It's the thrill of seeing if I can figure out how it's made. This morning Barb over at Just Sayin' Sew wrote about going to one of Bonnie Hunter's shows and dern it, she posted pictures. And though they are all wonderful, one in particular really caught my eye. Well, you know, I had fabric scraps out already left from Blue Ridge Beauty so what would it hurt if I made up one block. So I did.  Scrappy little star.
Now usually what happens is I can't stop at just one but this morning I am gonna stop. I am not gonna make this into a quilt.  Maybe a table topper or even just a potholder.  I already have a whole list of UFOs to be finished.  I am, though, not naive enough to believe that I am disciplined enough to stop making test blocks as they cross my path...that is just the thrill of the chase. But I have decided that since I have a lot of red white and blue fabric and patriotic is always good, from now on I'm going to make these test blocks from the r/w/b fabric and they will go on a clip and when I have several I will turn them into a patriotic quilt. Doesn't that sound like a plan? Building toward just one quilt of many different blocks instead of many quilts of just one block.  I think this will satisfy the "Oh, I just gotta try that."  And of course, if I just gotta do a whole quilt out of a certain one, well, we'll see.
These today would make good leaders and enders, though.
OK, going to go clean the living room right now.

5 Comments:

At February 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Wacky Woman said...

Brillliant!

 
At February 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Kasey said...

Cute block! I love trying new blocks, too, which is why I have orphans scattered everywhere!

 
At February 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Diana and LaDonna said...

I'm doing the same thing! Only my test blocks are in Christmas fabrics. One of these days, I'll have enough for a Christmas quilt.

LaDonna

 
At February 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

I like the potholder idea. I've decided I don't even need to bind them -- I just serge around the edges, and done!

And I know what you mean about Bonnie's stuff -- I always leave her site wanting to make everything!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 4:16 AM , Blogger Helen in the UK said...

Brilliant plan to keep all your 'test pilot' blocks in the red/white/blue colour scheme :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home