Thursday, March 17, 2011

THE IRISH IN ME

I've been told all my life that we are of English, Irish and German and American Indian descent. Our family surnames bear testimony to the English and German part and family stories flesh out the Indian strain but as yet I haven't run across any names preceded by an O'  However, when I hear the likes of Daniel O'Donnell sing, my inner voice speaks for days after with a lilting Irish accent  and I long to visit those green valleys and craggy hills. I'd like to walk the pastoral places and smell the heather that the word Ireland conjures up for me. In my dreams I've been there and run as a wee lass among the lambs and smelled cabbage and potatoes boiling on a hearth, tasted thick clotted cream and spread fresh butter on warm just out of the oven soda bread, The Ireland in my heart is the ancient Ireland where life was full but yearned for more peace, more prosperity.  I gladly wear my green today and long to be home.

1 Comments:

At March 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Anonymous Linda Testerman said...

Oh, Daniel O'Donnell, come to my house and sing to me....I love that man's voice :-) He does bring out the Irish in me, too...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home