Thursday, July 14, 2011

New Flimsy

I recently finished this quilt top.  It seems huge after all the baby quilts I made.  I fell in love with it when I saw the one JulieK made and did it from memory.  I might have done my blocks bigger cause as I said, it seems big and I don't have borders on it yet. I think Julie's had a piano key border. Not sure if I will add a border or not. It is big enough for me now. This is all made from recycled plaid shirts except for the white, which was cut from a bolt of solid that I have. I can't wait to get it quilted and on my bed cause I am keeping it for myself.  Not sure what to use for the back, though. I do have some extra string blocks left that I could use.  It is so big, it wouldn't fit on the design wall so I draped it over the recliner and table.

 

As I look at the picture, I think it does need at least a little bit of border. Those small outer 9Ps just appear to kind of hang there, don't they?

And some cl;ose ups...




(PS on this quilt: When I went to look at JulieK's again, I see she is doing a sew along with it now so join in with her. Kudos to her and Evelyn Sloppy for inspiring me to do this one.)

I've also been cutting and piecing a bit of Red, White and Blue and gold for the quilts I have promised to my friend for his Veteran's house.  He is a Vet too and has bought a big older house that he and some other Vet's have been fixing up.  They will have seven beds, (maybe 8 with his...I need to find that out) and I volunteered to make a quilt for each of them to honor my own brothers who also served during the Vietnam era and shortly thereafter.  I really enjoy making these for other folks.  It gives me a lot of satisfaction to think of someone cuddling all warm under one of my quilts.

11 Comments:

At July 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Katie M. said...

I like it just the way it is. Maybe the binding will be just what's needed to complete it!

 
At July 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I knew I recognized that quilt! I love it ... and replicating it is on my quilting list. Hope I get to it some day ... I hand quilt, so a completed quilt takes a long, long time. ;-)

 
At July 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Pattilou said...

This quilt has been one I'd like to do too. Yours is a real accomplishment!

 
At July 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM , Blogger julieQ said...

That quilt is just gorgeous!!!! I need to link to you!!!

 
At July 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Kathleen C said...

Cherie, your quilt is beautiful! I read your blog in Google Reader, where I clicked on the quilt to enlarge-Wow! The plaids work so well together, along with the white; the sashing is an extra nice touch to the quilt. I'm glad you're keeping this quilt for yourself to enjoy.
Kathleen C. in CT

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Vic in NH said...

Hiya Cheri!
Wow! This is a gorgeous quilt top! It looks so fresh and summery. did you make it from all recycled shirts?
If so, I'm very impressed with the wonderful variety that you found. The quilt looks fine with no borders; just use a dark binding color.

 
At July 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Blogger June D said...

Very pretty. The extra detail in the sashing really makes this quilt pop!

 
At July 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this quilt..It is on my to do list but who knows when I will actually get around to it.

 
At July 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM , Blogger qltmom9 said...

Cheri,
Thanks to your inspiration, I have 8 blocks done, handfuls of strips cut, my wee ninepatches DONE and am SO happy to be doing this. I stalled because I wanted a certain muslin for the foundation and I had NOTHING like it except enough for the 8 blocks. They are SO pretty. I found more BRIGHT jewels.
Lucy

 
At July 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Angie said...

It's beautiful! And I love the fact that all of your plaids are from recycled shirts. :) I have a tub of those too, and keep trying decide which pattern to use them in. Great quilt!

 
At August 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Kristy Armstrong said...

LOVE this quilt! I've just added it to my project list!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home